What we do
Already since the 1980s terre des hommes has been supporting initiatives to improve the living conditions of children in different countries of the sub-region. The first Regional Coordination Office was established in 1992 in Zimbabwe, today the Southern Africa Coordination Office (SACO) is based in Johannesburg; country branches are situated in Maputo and Harare.
Currently, more than 40 organizations and initiatives are funded in five countries: Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The programme in Southern Africa focuses on the following themes:
- Protecting children from all forms of abuse and exploitation
- Education and training (focus on ECD, primary school and vocational training)
- Child and youth leadership and participation
- Children’s right to a healthy environment
- Health and nutrition (mitigating the impact of HIV and AIDS on children in particular)
- The promotion of the Right to Play
How we work
terre des hommes does not implement projects directly, but supports Community Based Organizations (CBO) and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) and their work on the ground. Projects and initiatives are funded in line with the tdh regional and international strategy as well as country priorities.
The following principles are an integral part of each cooperation with partner organisations